Advantages of Installing Fall Protection Systems on Your Current Job
Whatever the size of your construction project – from large commercial site to a brand new residential home build, safety is a number one consideration. Building site health and safety standards and ensuring you keep your employees safe, apart from being a priority, also reduces the risk of increased site overheads through work stoppages, sick leave and loss of staff.
Numerous advantages of installing fall protection systems include:
- Reduce potential falls and minimize incident effects.
- Provide collective passive safety (no reliance on worker action – e.g.: securing harness)
- Provide worker reassurance by fitting the fall nets as close as possible to working level
- Allow a broad range of activity to continue working with minimum restriction.
- Permit greater mobility for persons working above nets.
- Reduce crane times and costs.
- Speed up installation of roof structure which leads to earlier water-tightness and building close-in.
- Be used in conjunction with normal scaffolding.
- Reduce costs compared to other fall protection systems.
Hazard Management of Your Safety Net Installation
There is a universal method of hazard management of heights. It follows a hierarchy of alternatives to manage these hazards. The levels are identified as follows:
- Remove the hazard (do work an alternative way)
- Guard hazard (use edge protections, like scaffold)
- Guard workers (introduce personal protective equipment systems)
- Mitigate impact of hazard realisation. (Fall arrest)
On their introduction to the UK market, safety nets were often considered to be a category 4 solution, but with the introduction of flat installation lightweight nets, it has been generally accepted that netting can now be considered a level 2 solution of collective protection.
This means that:
Nets can be installed so close to the work level it prevents the kind of fall likely to cause injury.
Nets offer a collective form of protection which is deemed an improvement on harnesses or lanyards.
Contact us today for more information on our services!